Saturday, September 11, 2010

Circus Apron!

apron fabric

So the most recent Tie One On theme was "The Circus!"

While I have never enjoyed going to the circus, I am in love with the idea of being excited about the circus, especially how super exciting it must have been in the days before television when the most of the people going to the circus had no idea exactly how big an elephant was, or how high up the trapeze artists were performing, or how annoying/hilarious/terrifying clowns were (depending on an individual's tolerance of clowns, of course).

And on a much simpler level, I love popcorn and bright colors, so it all works out in the end.

apron preview

Anyway. I thought and thought about the circus for a while and looked up all sorts of vintage circus photos and came across all sorts of fun circus inspired collectibles and had a grand old time. In the end I was most inspired by the iconic red and white stripes of a circus tent. And then I thought bunting! Everywhere!

little flags

So the main body of the apron ended up red and white, with alternating stripes at the waist band, like the top of a tent.

The flags are only attached at the tops so they can wave around like the little flags they are. Except for the biggest one, which is the pocket.

pocket!

And this was the final photo I sent in.

circus apron!

This was a super fun theme and once again I was able to use materials I already had in my stash. I have tons of brightly colored fabrics, from fat quarters up to a yard or two that I bought for baby quilts and whatnot and the vintage seam tape was a gift from a friend a while back.

Anyway, check out the rest of the gallery here!

1 comment:

eccentricess said...

Absolutely gorgeous, I love the design and am totally inspired to make something similar for circus training classes. :-D