Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Almost there!

I cannot believe how fast time is flying now, or busy I have been.

But in the past two(?) weeks, I have pretty much redone and switched around the three bedrooms in our house to make room for our (VERY) soon-to-be baby!

The room Ethan used to use is now the "grownup" bedroom. It is the room with the attic access, so I wanted to make sure we ended up in there:

mom & dad - new room

I had painted it a shocking blue for him when we moved in, but I thought John and I might benefit from something a little more soothing, so I mixed up a ton of paints I found in the basement and ended up with a lovely green.

mom & dad closet

All I did was toss our stuff in there for now -- some of it quite literally -- and I'll deal with putting it all away as soon as the kids' rooms are totally in order.

The boys moved into the former adult bedroom. The room was very bright and cheery for us, but just a cream color, and I wanted to do something extra special for the boys (especially since we were making them share a room after always having slept in their own spaces).

So I had them pick out some paint colors,

we picked out the colors for the boys' stripey walls today

And with a little masking tape and some careful rolling, the boring side walls of the room were transformed into personalized Happy Walls. :)

Noah's side:

noah's side

and Ethan's side:

ethan's side

I am so pleased with how it turned out (not too shabby for only a few hours of work in one evening!) and the boys LOVE their new space. Sleeping has been blissfully uninterrupted and they are already totally adjusted to the new arrangements.

Once their room was in at least partial working order, I started in on Lydia's room (formerly Noah's room).

I knew I wanted yellow, but I had been agonizing over shades for about a million years. After I found two I liked the best (both very different, but with qualities I admired for various reasons), I bought two of those little sample jars of paint and put two swatches on the wall, which stayed on there for another million years while I scrutinized both of them in every kind of natural and artificial light possible.

Why all the fuss over a silly shade of yellow? Well, painting with yellow can be positively disastrous.

See, I put a gorgeous yellow in the kitchen in the apartment John and I lived in around the time we got married (incidentally, that is my wedding bouquet in front of the wall in this picture):

wedding bouquet

Bold and rich, not too shocking, just warm and lovely. So when we moved to the house in Scranton a few years later, I couldn't wait to have a perfect yellow kitchen again!

I failed.

ethan takes pictures

It doesn't show in this picture, but the shade I picked was practically NEON in any kind of bright light, especially artificial -- you know, nighttime lighting when you need a day-glo nightmare to help you unwind for bedtime...

So I had indeed achieved my yellow kitchen again, but with none of the pesky tastefulness of the former kitchen. I eventually grew to like it, but would never ever ever ever have picked that shade again for any wall, no matter what, ever.

You can understand my fear of commitment here, yeah?

To wrap up a ridiculously long story, I stared at those swatches for weeks, memorized what I liked best about both of them and finally took the plunge Sunday.

By Monday, I was two coats of primer and one coat of paint in on Lydia's walls:

lydia's room in progress

Late Monday night, starting in on the second coat (just a gratuitous belly shot, really):

side view, painting Lydia's room

And as of yesterday afternoon:

crib!

glider!

tiny dresser makes a perfect changing table

What a PERFECT yellow!!! It is exactly what I was hoping for and I am beyond thrilled with the way the whole room is coming out. The color is soothing and buttery in all light, and is like heaven when the sun sets and shines through the slats of the blinds in the evening.

I have a lot of things I love in there, including my childhood dressers which I refinished when we were expecting Ethan, and the brand new crib and glider from my parents, but one of my favorite special touches is this switchplate that my parents saved from when I was little:

was mine when I was little :)

I like that it is the last thing I see as I leave the room.

I still have a lot of closet rearranging to do and laundry out the wazoo, but I have three weeks left to get that done and I think I can do it, unless someone decides on an early arrival. :)

9 comments:

Sweetpinesoaps said...

Those striped walls rock! Speaking of yellow kitchens, mine suffers from the same artificial lighting nightmare so I totally understand. But the yellow you picked looks amazing!

tlb81003 said...

You amaze me!  Holy Schmokes.  What is that yellow?  It is scrumptious.  And um, hello.  Going to the basement to mix up a bunch of paints and end up with that green.  How cool is that.

Cheryl said...

Had to share this with all of my FB and hubby. You're amazing. On my good preggo days I'm not even close to this good. You go girl! Love the bump.

Sherrie said...

Everything looks fantastic! The yellow in L's room is buttery and perfect, and it looks like a wonderful little space for  her to settle in to. :)

Amber said...

 Thanks!

So sorry your kitchen is afflicted with the dreaded "neon-itis" too. This bedroom yellow passes the test though! (Thank goodness -- I CANNOT imagine doing anymore painting right now!)

Amber said...

Thank you! The color is a Valspar "Ultra Premium" from Lowe's (although I had them mix it into the extremely cheap contractor grade eggshell base to save money), called "Butterscotch Cream" (color 2008-2A)

And how about that green??? :D There were a lot of leftover paints here from years past when we bought the place and I have been slowly chipping away at them all. This may have been my best mix yet!

Amber said...

 Thanks so much! This is the time for me in a pregnancy when panic sets in and I realize exactly how little time I actually have to get things done... ;)

Amber said...

 Thanks Sherrie!

TeresaR said...

I'm always shocked that the ppl at Martha Stewart's empire and also Architectural Digest aren't beating down your door asking you to become their CEO. You are lucky you aren't my neighbor because I'd drag you over every day to ask for your advice and help on...well, everything! ;)

I'm so exhausted reading about your painting adventures, I think I'll take a nap. :P