Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Doozy of a Project

 Not one to buck my own personal trends (in this case, of starting impossible projects while in the third trimester of a pregnancy), I have started the process of finishing our attic.

To begin, I got to knock through a wall, which has been a pet dream of mine for a million years.

This is an intentionally sloppy Photoshop job, but I had forgotten to take a picture of the closet with the attic access before I started knocking through afore mentioned wall. The framed area on the ceiling was a roughly 2x2' hole you hoisted yourself up through:

1

Woo! Demolishing stuff is fun. It turned out to be only very old drywall with no studs, so I basically punched around the edges with a claw hammer and removed the wall pieces in big chunks. Less fun that way, but also less dust.

2

After opening that up, I had three rafters to cut through and remove. I used the wood I cut away (and a few other scraps) to make a ladder of sorts for now. When everything is done upstairs, I'll be building steps in of course.

3

So these next two shots are what it looked like up there when I started -- huge piles of loose insulation and a bunch of 2x8' sheets of plywood just tossed all over (did I mention there was no floor up there?). That flex hose is from the bathroom vent. It will soon be vented outside.

4

Looking toward the other side, before:

5

After a few good hours of work on Saturday, I had gathered and organized the insulation by size, distributed the plywood across the floor for ease of walking, and started tacking up some of the insulation.

6

After a few hours up there on Sunday, I made amazing progress on the ceiling!

7

Floor boards were again laid out in a way that enabled me to actually walk across a solid surface.

8

And I only had three more sections to fill on each side:

9

One of two small remaining piles of insulation:

10

The other small pile of insulation. Soon to be all used up!

11

Monday, I was lucky enough to get to run up there again as soon as John got home from work, and you know what?

12

All the insulation is UP! I have more coming from my dad for the side wall, but every single piece that was covering the "floor" is now up and out of the way.

I have a ton of work to do before we can use the space, but I'm hoping to get as much done as possible before the baby gets here. I'm sure there will be updates, but I'll try to post about prettier things in between. ;)

7 comments:

Michelle V. said...

Amber, you are such an extraordinary person.  I just sat here for 30 minutes showing my kids and hubby several of your posts talking about how amazing you are.  I wish I had your eye for great finds and your talent to create, fix, make.  I can only wish to accomplish the many things you have.  The attic looks awesome!  I hope the pregnancy is going well and that you are feeling wonderful.  Not long now and you'll be holding your little bundle :)

TeresaR said...

You are freakin' nuts, lady...and I do say that with utmost love and admiration for you! :D  Seriously, not a day goes by that I don't wish I were more like you. If I've said that before it's because I really mean it (and not because I'm senile...which I am too, but I won't admit it without crying). 

carrie garvin said...

This is going to be such an awesome addition- LOVE the space! You are something else- only you could be doing something like this during their last trimester- good for you!!!! Awesome!

Sherrie said...

Holy moly, I'm impressed! I can't wait to see what it eventually becomes. :)

tlb81003 said...

hoping all is well.  I've been coming back daily for the big reveal.  Now I'm just plain hopeful that all is well with your pregnancy.  I agree with everyone above.  You rock!  I don't have the courage to do half the stuff you do with tools.  Afraid I'll cut my fingers off.

rental mobil said...

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Amber said...

Thanks so much everybody! I had to take a short break to wait for some supplies, and then I had to shift some focus downstairs to do our last-minute room exchange to get ready for baby, but I am almost ready to frame up the side "walls" (just waiting to be able to buy some lumber) and attach the floor boards. Shouldn't take too long to do, but I need to be able to afford the supplies first. Always a catch... ;)